Monday, June 23, 2008

Hulu is my hero.....


I am a huge fan of DVR, TiVo or any device that allows me to watch my favorite shows at any given time, wherever I want, for however long as I like. Conceptual design of these devices are ingenious! With the busy lifestyles that we lead, very few of us find the time to sit down and watch an episode much less an entire series on a consistent basis. Things come up, deadlines need to met, and so on. So the ability to watch an entertainment show at your own pace is simply amazing. However one pitfall of recording devices such as DVR is that what happens when you have 3 shows that you love that all are airing at the same time. Well, you could record two and watch one, but what happens if you don't have time to watch any of the three or if the airing times were off and your DVR didn't tape 10 mins after 9pm even though the show was began 10 minutes late? Well luckily a new service is being provided to tv audiences. It is the ability to watch shows online. Big corporations such as FOX, CBS, and ABC post their episodes online so that viewers can watch their favorite tv shows at their own convenience as well as to broaden the viewing audience of their shows.

Today in class I was informed about Hulu. Hulu is an online website that provides viewers with NBC and FOX tv shows along with movies as well. After tinkering with the website and checking out what it has to offer, I cannot help but proclaim that Hulu is my hero. I am so busy with my school and work schedule that watching television shows and movies are last on my priority list. Primarily this website is helpful because it does not require me to go to 4 different websites to watch episodes from different stations. Granted not all tv shows are featured on the site, a large variety is offered to please any individual. Furthermore, another plus with Hulu is that you don’t have to be at home to watch it. With TiVo and DVR you have to sit at home and watch all your episodes. You can’t take it with you and watch it at a coffee shop downtown, whereas with Hulu you can, granted you internet access. I think that with today’s forever increasing busy lifestyles, having entertainment available that is portable is key.

Additionally, the website itself is wonderful because it is easy to navigate and use. Listings are found alphabetically, by season, by networks, and by popularity so its simple enough for anyone to use. While some postings are better than others, most episode listings are easy to follow based on sequence. This is increasingly helpful when trying to catch up on a whole season of episodes!






2 comments:

Lilly Buchwitz said...

Do you use DVR? That wasn't clear.

Jessi said...

yes i do....its great, but not portable. Hulu lets me watch it anywhere as long as i have my laptop and internet access :)