Thursday, June 19, 2008

Bare Escentuals is my Lovemark!!!!


"Lovemarks reach your heart as well as your mind, creating an intimate, emotional connection that you just can’t live without. Ever." This idea of "Lovemarks" evolved from dead marketing. Its what some call "the future beyond brands". When hearing this term "Lovemark" I was so confused as much as I was deeply intrigued. This idea of a brand becoming something that has an emotional and almost intimate hold over you, just seemed so ridiculous. I remember distinctly thinking to myself, "What? No, way...I am SO not attached to any of my material objects, much less a BRAND". BUT after going through an extensive list of all the items I possess, I've found my Lovemark.

As strange as this is, my Lovemark is Bare Escentuals. Its sort of a strange brand to call your Lovemark and you must be thinking to yourself, “What?!?! Make-up! That’s her Lovemark?”…but let me explain.

For most women, beauty is something that we internally crave. Whether we admit it or not the idea of achieving the ideal beauty standards is important to us. This societal view of beauty has constantly been drummed into minds of women through use of advertisements, media and just our culture in general. Such a fact should give me more of a reason to dislike this culture created brand, and yet I simply cannot live without it.

I love Bare Escentuals....all of the makeup I own is made by Bare Essentials. I love everything about it: the immense variety of colors. The vast selection of brushes and tools just makes me go crazy. Perhaps my love for makeup is rooted in the fact that I’m an artist and I love everything and anything to do with color and painting. In a sense putting on makeup is an art form. There’s a sense of technique and creativity that is involved in applying makeup. But that doesn’t necessarily explain why Bare Escentuals, specifically is my Lovemark.

Bare Essentials is my Lovemark because they as a brand provide me with tools that enable me to look and feel my best. One of their marketing slogans is "Dare to be Bare". Women would love to feel comfortable in their own skin without external use of makeup. However, the reality of it is that many women are not comfortable with the way they look. This make up brand gives you the “Bare Essentials” to reflect how you truly view yourself. This makeup, unlike any other brand of make up does not add a "cakey-makey" layer of makeup to your face. This brand, made of natural minerals, evens out uneven skintones while preserving the natural look of your face. Its sheer composition goes on so thinly that you forget you are wearing makeup while still providing you with a radiant glow. That may seem somewhat of a shallow statement by saying makeup makes me feel better about myself when I should be content with how I look in the first place. However, when my outer appearance reflects how I think and view myself from the within, the self conscious wall that divides me from the person I really am is torn down and the confident and self-assured individual I truly am is released.